Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Run windows apps on ubuntu

Beans

Re: Run windows apps on ubuntu

couple years ago when i used linux (then went back to windows now back at linux) , i couldn't for the life of me get wine to work...i gave up.
    i would love to to just run 1 application in windows/wine whatever, cause I've searched and cant find anything alternative for linux that works great .
    it's a simple thing really lol but it bothers me
    i want to use foxit PDF ,the windows version cause the linux version doesn't have the add signature thingy.
    the alternatives i found is xournal++ that seems to work the best for adding signatures but it's just not as easy as with foxit(windows), i don't wanna add a photo all the time and then the background don't match ect ect ...its a mission .
    so yea i miss foxit ,just for the signature fuction

so basically i'm just throwing in my 2 cents to add that getting wine to work...well it's a mission impossible

PS: my "machine" is too crappy to do the VM thing ...
    Last edited by 14nd; April 6th, 2024 at 07:19 PM.
    zorin lite

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I got the Battle.Net installer to run under Wine, but the executable that it installs crashes, with a QT error. Is a know problem at Battle.Net and they have a long standing bug report on that, which doesn't seem to be a priority with them.

I have 3 stack traces, thinking I might get around the errors. The first was that you have to set the arch to include -386 before installing WINE, so it has both arches, and do an update/upgrade on the system, before installing Wine so that it includes all the libraries for both arches. Next, yo
    u have to include installing package winbind, which their installer uses in their executable... Once you do that their launcher installer works... But then you hit the qt error on trying to start it. it has to do with their code, where an attribute in their code inside a DLL was set to 'hidden'... Nothing you can do about that one.

On Bottles flatpak... It actually has a tweaked version of WINE with a GUI wrapper over it. After creating a Bottle, I used their program installer for installing the Batttle.net launcher, which it said by it's rating that it worked 'well'. Well, they sort of stretched the truth on that abstractly. It does install the 'launcher', so the setup program works... But the launcher itself crashes with a kernel crash. Very badly at that, with kernel panic. Good thing it is inside of a sandbox!!! LOL

Next will be trying with Lutris. That will be tonight "after" I run a few errands.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

To further respond to an earlier post about the bottles Battle.net script not working. I was in a mood yesterday and I apologize. I restored my backup get a configuration dump. I've never had much success with scripts in Lutris or anything else. I just did this manually. Took a bit of playing about to find the proper wine version.

The config export yaml file.

Code:
    Arch: win64
    CompatData: ''
    Creation_Date: '2024-01-21 21:23:21.174971'
    Custom_Path: false
    DLL_Overrides: {}
    DXVK: dxvk-2.3
    Environment: Gaming
    Environment_Variables: {}
    External_Programs:
        d9d75821-a86c-451c-bd24-bd455ae893b5:
            executable: Battle.net Launcher.exe
            folder: /home/jason/.var/app/com.usebottles.bottles/data/bottles/bottles/BattleNet/drive_c/Program
                Files (x86)/Battle.net
            id: d9d75821-a86c-451c-bd24-bd455ae893b5
            name: Battle.net Launcher
            path: /home/jason/.var/app/com.usebottles.bottles/data/bottles/bottles/BattleNet/drive_c/Program
                Files (x86)/Battle.net/Battle.net Launcher.exe
    Installed_Dependencies:
    - d3dx9
    - msls31
    - arial32
    - times32
    - courie32
    - d3dcompiler_43
    - d3dcompiler_47
    - mono
    - gecko
    - faudio
    Language: sys
    LatencyFleX: latencyflex-v0.1.1
    NVAPI: dxvk-nvapi-v0.6.4
    Name: BattleNet
    Parameters:
        custom_dpi: 96
        decorated: true
        discrete_gpu: true
        dxvk: true
        dxvk_nvapi: false
        fixme_logs: false
        fsr: false
        fsr_quality_mode: none
        fsr_sharpening_strength: 2
        fullscreen_capture: false
        gamemode: false
        gamescope: false
        gamescope_borderless: false
        gamescope_fps: 0
        gamescope_fps_no_focus: 0
        gamescope_fullscreen: true
        gamescope_game_height: 0
        gamescope_game_width: 0
        gamescope_scaling: false
        gamescope_window_height: 0
        gamescope_window_width: 0
        latencyflex: false
        mangohud: false
        mouse_warp: true
        obsvkc: false
        pulseaudio_latency: false
        renderer: gl
        sandbox: false
        sync: fsync
        take_focus: false
        use_be_runtime: true
        use_eac_runtime: true
        use_runtime: false
        use_steam_runtime: false
        versioning_automatic: false
        versioning_compression: false
        versioning_exclusion_patterns: false
        virtual_desktop: false
        virtual_desktop_res: 1280x720
        vkbasalt: false
        vkd3d: true
        vmtouch: false
        vmtouch_cache_cwd: false
    Path: BattleNet
    Runner: wine-ge-proton8-26
    RunnerPath: ''
    Sandbox:
        share_net: false
        share_sound: false
    State: 0
    Uninstallers: {}
    Update_Date: '2024-04-06 16:02:15.859101'
    VKD3D: vkd3d-proton-2.11.1
    Versioning: false
    Versioning_Exclusion_Patterns: []
    Windows: win10
    WorkingDir: ''
    data: {}
    run_in_terminal: false
    session_arguments: ''
    Have Hearthstone, WoW, And Starcraft 2 running in this bottle easily. Just run them from the launcher. On rare occasions the bottle fails to load despite clicking it, yet it starts the Wine / Windows processes. So I kill all the processes and relaunch. Rare, but easily fixable. Otherwise I'd suggest I have better performance from Bottles than Windows ever did give me.

Code:
    for i in $(ps aux | grep C: | grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}') ; do
       kill -9 "$i"
    done
    Last edited by Tadaen_Sylvermane; April 7th, 2024 at 12:10 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Yep. Success. <--- This is why I try to do things myself, when others say it doesn't work.

• Add arch i396
    • apt udate/upgrade
    • Install wine-stable, wine-tricks, & winbind
    • Add the Ubuntu Lutris PPA
    • Update
    • Create Battle.Net account & Lutris account
    • Install Lutris > Will start Lutris
    • Log in to Lutris by hovering on right side of "lutris" bar (the person icon)
    • In browser at Lutris, log in, then search for Battle.net > Install to account > will install the launcher and start it at the end of that.

See attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; April 7th, 2024 at 01:47 AM.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans

found this today
    https://www.howtogeek.com/running-wi...-with-bottles/
    ima try that and see if works with foxit pdf
    zorin lite

Beans

Yes my goal is to learn ubuntu desktop so I can move over from windows 11 to Ubuntu but I couldn’t get anything to install on the live usb so I just used my iso to create a VM instead. Doing this I was able to get everything such as wine to install but using battle.net with wine is not just plug and play. Although I did end up trying lutris and got battle.net + world of Warcraft to install which was really my end goal. Although I got these programs to install with lutris I did want to use wine to install programs like nzxt cam and lian li’s rgb control software for my pc which does not seem possible. In addition I also tried bottles which did not work for battle net but lutris works fine.
    Last edited by noixyy; April 7th, 2024 at 07:34 PM.

Beans

I couldn’t get anything to install on the live usb
    That seems unusual to me as I have never had a problem installing software on a 'live' Linux. Of course, by design it (the software) will not be retained on reboot.

Beans

oh ppfft i correct myself ...one CAN add signature on Foxit for linux
    all this time wasted trying to find an alternative lol
    zorin lite

Beans

I would be very interested to know how you got on with running foxit pdf in Bottles.

Like so many, I am new to Ubuntu and desperately trying to get away from Windows for a number of reasons.
    Mostly because my PC is just below the requirement for W11, but I also don't like the ever creeping intrusion by Microsoft.

I have Ubuntu installed on a separate SSD and have installed Bottles via FlatPak. So far I have tried to get Affinity Publisher to run, without success.

When I look at the Bottles website their demo graphics show dialogue boxes that look nothing like the ones being displayed on my machine.

How did you get on with Bottles ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by 14nd View Post
    couple years ago when i used linux (then went back to windows now back at linux) , i couldn't for the life of me get wine to work...i gave up.
    i would love to to just run 1 application in windows/wine whatever, cause I've searched and cant find anything alternative for linux that works great .
    it's a simple thing really lol but it bothers me
    i want to use foxit PDF ,the windows version cause the linux version doesn't have the add signature thingy.
    the alternatives i found is xournal++ that seems to work the best for adding signatures but it's just not as easy as with foxit(windows), i don't wanna add a photo all the time and then the background don't match ect ect ...its a mission .
    so yea i miss foxit ,just for the signature fuction

so basically i'm just throwing in my 2 cents to add that getting wine to work...well it's a mission impossible

PS: my "machine" is too crappy to do the VM thing ...
    I use Xournal++ too.
    you can create a signature image that has a transparent background using GIMP or Inkscape or any other image manipulation app.
    This gets around the "background don't match" problem.
    Search for: "How To Make A Transparent PDF Signature Stamp" to find a tutorial.
    Ubuntu 23.10

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123