Thread: Fix Boot and Grub Issue After Sudo Apt Upgrade

Beans

Fix Boot and Grub Issue After Sudo Apt Upgrade

I have been working on a laptop and after the hard drive stopped working, I made an installation of Ubuntu 22.04 on an external 3TB HDD drive. The drive had about 500GB of data and I couldn't move it. I made custom partitions and install everything well. The partions are as follows:

/dev/sda1 - efi, boot partition

/dev/sda2 - NTFS with previous data

/dev/sda3 - Swap area

/dev/sda4 - root partition

/dev/sda5 - home partition

In the installation process, in the drop-down for selecting which device to install the bootloader, selecting /dev/sda would cause an OS panic but after a reinstall and selecting /dev/sda1 everything worked.

The OS worked very well until I ran
    Code:
    sudo apt upgrade
    I noticed some output about updating of initramfs(shown in the images)

I cannot paste the logs as text since I cannot get into the system. Everything worked and I even used the laptop for over 10 hours. I shutdown the laptop and after starting it, I click Ubuntu and get

Code:
    error: attempt to read or write outside of disk `hd0`.
    error: you need to load the kernel first.
    Press any key to continue...
    Recovery mode doesn't work and trying to load the kernel from the grub menu gives the same read or write error. This is when I use all versions of vmlinuz found in /boot/. Only

Code:
    linux /boot/vmlinuz.old
    does not give that error. Vmlinuz, vmlinuz-6.2.0-26-generic and vmlinuz-6.5.0-28-generic all error out. When I try running
    Code:
    initrd /boot/initrd.img
    after the successful vmlinuz.old command, I get the same read or write error.

How can I fix this? I cannot currently access a live cd/usb due to many challenges so any help that doesn't need one will be really helpful.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Fix Boot and Grub Issue After Sudo Apt Upgrade

You should always be able to boot an external USB flash drive for repair/recovery.
    Can you not open UEFI boot options?

Did you install ESP on external drive. It also then should be bootable from UEFI boot menu, by device name/label like you boot live installer.

You should always install grub to a drive like sda, not a partition like sda1.

If you can boot live installer.
    Please copy & paste the pastebin link to the BootInfo summary report ( do not post report), do not run the auto fix till reviewed. Use often updated ppa version with your USB installer or any working install over somewhat older ISO.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair &
    https://sourceforge.net/p/boot-repair/home/Home/
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.